- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup MUSSELMAN’S® Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ½ cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
- 2 seeded and minced jalapeno peppers
- additional green onions for garnish
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly coat an 8 X 8 inch pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, combine the milk, eggs, unsweetened applesauce, oil and honey.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients. Stir by hand until just combined, then let batter rest for 20 minutes.
Stir in cheese, 1/4 cup green onions, and jalapenos.
Once the batter has rested, pour it into prepared pan, then smooth the top. Sprinkle a few additional green onions over the top.
Bake until the top and edges are dry and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 24-29 minutes.
Let cool, then slice and serve warm or at room temperature.